Sunday, October 7, 2012

introduction to book

My book, "The Hidden Words of the Living Jesus: A Commentary on the Gospel of Thomas," is being edited for publication by Anamchara Books. Here is the introduction I have submitted:

In each of the four orthodox Gospels, a story, a narrative, has been woven around Jesus’ sayings. With the Gospel of Thomas, we have the sayings not wrapped in a context. These sayings are thought to be in more pure unadulterated form, passed on in oral tradition, and eventually written down.

To understand the writings or speaking of another, one must enter their consciousness, adopt their mindset, look through their eyes at the world they describe, listen with their ears. Jesus often said, “Let those who have ears, hear!” Listening requires not putting a pre-existing dogmatic frame on what is being spoken, but allowing its imagery and meaning to unfold. Rather than jumping on a sentence with analytic fervor, one allows it to settle like a depth charge and to “explode” to reveal its meaning. This is the method I followed with each saying of Jesus in writing this commentary on the Gospel of Thomas.

I would sit quietly in the pre-dawn hours of the night, and contemplate a particular saying, allowing images and understandings to form. Eventually these imaginal formings would begin to solidify into sentence structure, a translation from heartfelt imagery to English. I wrote each sentence as it formed. I then made small edits until I was satisfied that the sentences were as identical as possible to the images that formed from meditation on the saying. Something within "clicked" when that happened. I would exhale a sigh of completion.

Here is the outcome. If you have ears, you will hear. If you hear something richer and deeper than what I heard, write it down. My goal will have been accomplished: the bringing of these “hidden” sayings into the light of other’s consciousness for the sharing of this richness.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, George! I was hoping you'd create an offering like this book...


    --Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks George!!! Congrats on the new Book!! HB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the book, Grorge! I've found your comments on the Gospel of Thomas to be insightful and thought provoking -- a remarkable guide in taking me deeper and helping me open my heart and my mind. It will be great to have them available in this collection. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete